How we got here
In September 2015 an independent panel was appointed by Scottish Ministers to review the planning system. The panel reported in May 2016, making 48 recommendations designed to rationalise, improve and modernise planning.
Following substantial stakeholder input – including close engagement with six working groups – the Scottish Government published consultation papers in January and June 2017 to inform the way ahead for changes to Scotland’s planning system.
Drawing on the work of the independent panel and stakeholder views, the Planning (Scotland) Bill was produced by the Scottish Government and introduced in the Scottish Parliament in December 2017. Following detailed scrutiny of the Bill’s provisions, the Scottish Parliament passed the Planning (Scotland) Act 2019 in June 2019.
This site sets out and updates on the work involved now in implementing the new Act, along with other actions to transform our planning system.
Here are some key documents charting the progress from the independent panel’s review of planning through to the passage of the Planning (Scotland) Act 2019:
- Empowering planning to deliver great places – report of the independent Planning Review Panel
- Planning Review Panel Statement
- Places, People and Planning – consultation paper
- Places, People and Planning position statement
- Strategic Environment Assessment (SEA) Environmental Report
- Independent analysis of consultation responses (to January 2017 consultation)
- Independent analysis of consultation responses (to June 2017 consultation)
- Planning (Scotland) Bill – introduced in the Scottish Parliament. Link to the Scottish Parliament's page on how the Bill progressed, including accompanying documents and Committee reports.
- Planning (Scotland) Bill – as passed by the Scottish Parliament
- Planning (Scotland) Act 2019 – received Royal Assent
These impact assessments were also produced to accompany the Planning (Scotland) Bill:
- Planning Bill - post stage 2: equality impact assessment (June 2019)
- Planning Bill - post stage 2: island communities impact assessment (June 2019)
- Planning Bill: child rights and welfare impact assessment (January 2017)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA): SEA summary, SEA full report and SEA post-adoption statement
- Business and Regulatory Impact Assessment (January 2017)
Last Updated: 24 Dec 2020